Friday, October 26, 2007

I Like Movies For The Wrong Reasons

I'm not really a big movie person, but I tend to like them for visual reasons. I saw Stranger Than Fiction the other day, and surprisingly liked it. For one thing it has Emma Thompson and Queen Latifah and Maggie Gyllenhall in it, all of whom I love, but even Will Farrell was unusually good in the straight role. I have much more respect for him now as an actor.

What I really liked about it though was the visual details. Unfortunately I couldn't find all the images I wanted, but there's a couple here.

First of all there's Maggie Gyllenhall's bakery. It has a fabulous 3-dimensional cupcake sign hanging outside (no picture, alas), and an assortment of glass plates attached to the front window:




I've been wondering how they were attached. Silicone, I guess, or possibly hot glue, though in real life I don't think it could cope with temperature changes.


I also like this little crushed velvet bolero. There's a better picture here .




I loved Emma Thompson's apartment too. No really good images, though you can get a small idea from this:



It's all blank white walls and terrazzo floors, with very little furniture and just a few giant architectural fragments here and there for decoration. There's a massive stone lintel surrounding one doorframe, which is a nice touch. All in all, very cool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i agree with everything you said!