Wednesday, August 03, 2011

The Very Slight Possibility That I Might Be Crazy, Plus Confirmation That I'm a Huge Dork

I totally have this! I didn't know there was actually a term for it (Ordinal-linguistic personification ), though I figured I have some slight aspects of synesthesia in other ways, since I first read about it in Blue Cats and Chartreuse Kittens: How Synesthetes Color Their Worlds .  But I've always known that 1 was the father and 2 was the mother and 3 was their daughter, who was in love with 4, who was young and handsome but poor, but 1 and 2 want 3 to marry 5, who is older and rich. 6 is male and kind of arty or bohemian,  and a little weak, while 7 is his girlfriend but more ambitious and is also interested in 8, who's very charismatic but distant, though she may eventually marry 9, again older and richer, but without such a distinct personality as 5.  I am NOT totally crazy, other people think like this too, and some even more than me.


 






Possibly the best persuasive sentence ever: "I promise I'm not some kind of modernist monster trying to make you read something with no pelisses or heaths in it. " Well, I'm sold.  


It's from this review/recommendation of Villette by Charlotte Brontë, which I've been considering reading anyway. The fact that the review is totally hilarious AND shows the same edition that I have is just pushing me closer to the edge. It's going to happen.


Also, I just found out I can get the audio version from Librivox  for free. How did I not know this existed? I vaguely feel that maybe I have heard of it, but that can't be true because if I had why would I not have checked it out? Not possible. I find that audiobooks are often very good for Victorian or other "classic" novels where sometimes you can get bogged down in all the verbiage,  but too they are immensely soothing to listen to, and good for walking or needlework, plus the libraries only have a limited number of the ones I want to read/listen to and I've heard all the Jane Austens at least twice, so this is heaven sent. Yes, inordinate glee over free public-domain audiobooks=hopeless dorkiness. I don't care.







Ooh, and more Pinterest validation! I pinned a very cool necklace by Wendy Brandes,  who is an actual legitmate jewelry designer with a very cool blog, and she's started following all of my boards. That makes me very happy.

No comments: